The Natural History Museum Calderini is another important cultural reality of Varallo staged since its foundation on the top floor of the Palace Museum, the building with the old town where varallese is well allocated and widely distributed the Pinacoteca.
The Museum was founded in 1867 by the priest, professor and great scholar Pietro Calderini, character of absolute importance in the scientific research of the nineteenth century Valsesia.
a small but significant mine of rare artifacts and specimens on display in bright rooms that invite to a careful examination
The Natural History Museum is an eloquent reflection of the scientific founder of eclecticism as including monuments collected in different sections to each other, creating a varied and exhibition; is a small but significant mine rare artifacts and specimens on display in bright rooms that invite to a careful examination.
The Museum can be said divided into three distinct sections: a first in mineralogy with exposure in different windows of more than a thousand copies with numerous samples of rock fragments of Valsesia also collected by the founder; a second section is dedicated to paleontology and presents a complex collection of marine invertebrates and various artifacts including one of "ursus spelaeus" documenting the presence in Valsesia; the third section of the natural sciences with zoological, botanical and mineralogical.
Quite extraordinary the entomological collection of Robert Haas composed of about 29,000 copies; important and interesting are also the 'herbarium abbot Antonio Famine and the collection valsesiana and general mineralogy. Collections of "Calderini" are also part of an articulated section numismatics and another, small but not negligible, Egyptology.
The rooms to "Calderini" are in remodeling and restoration oriented to a revaluation of the entire museum heritage.