In the middle of the lower valley, well exposed and with a municipal distribution spread, is the country of Roasio, small but quaint settlement that widens into various groupings on the rolling hills of the territory inhabited Gattinara.
Ancient documentary references attest remote origins, around the year one thousand, already the responsibility of the church of Vercelli.
The area, with underground mining in layers of clay, lime and kaolin, favored work in quarries and kilns then transmitted to a still productive construction industry, also successfully exported abroad. This hardworking community, thanks to florida soil composition has always played too copious farming, with crops of fruit trees and vineyards and products appreciated everywhere, as the DOC wine Bramaterra and, in the territory of plain rice production.
Roasio then enlarged in five small villages, has its municipal seat in San Maurizio which is the capital, and St. Mary, St. Eusebius, St. George and Castelletto Villa, once independent, where there lies the small lake Ravasanella; all the places mentioned have arisen about the respective churches, widely worth visiting, starting with the oldest, Santa Maria, in 1054; well of the early second millennium is the Bell Tower of the Church of St. Eusebius in Curavecchia, church first abandoned and then returned to the cult operated with renovations to the beautiful Gothic frescoes.
The old parish church is dedicated to St. Maurice and dates back to 1200; notable are the Romanesque bell tower, several frescoes from various periods ranging from four to the eighteenth century, the beautiful floor mosaics and quartzite. As well as interesting architecture of Lombard Gothic style is, in Curavecchia, the fifteenth-century Santa Maria "Of Cerniori", containing frescoes with "stories of the saints"; yet San Rocco in Castelletto Villa, where there are beautiful altarpieces seventeenth century and a rare organ of the late eighteenth century.
The wealth of art and architecture complement, in this amazing location, with the current new home of the parish, to Sant'Eusebio Baroque Piemontese, Noca in the Oratory of St. Peter Martyr, with a beautiful triptych of Frescoes Four hundred from a nearby abandoned chapel and finally the remains of a fourteenth-century big tower with a square, a bulwark of a fort that stood on the hill overlooking the village of San Maurizio.
Totally recommendable visit the National History Museum of the Emigrant, a lively cultural reality of the country that has well crossed, deservedly, territorial boundaries, and which is an important tool for historical study documented on emigration.